The Africa Center is currently seeking volunteers to assist with the set-up and break-down of the Center’s public programs. The Center is launching inaugural programming in 2019 and will host approximately 4-6 events per month. The average time of each event, including set-up and breakdown is estimated to be 4 hours. Most events will take place on week-day evenings with select events taking place on the weekends. Volunteers will get to enjoy a range of programs at The Africa Center, from theater and music to literary events and talks.
Volunteers are unpaid, and candidates should be able to commit to at least 8-hours per month for a minimum of 6 months. Transport reimbursement (i.e. two-trip MetroCards) are available to volunteers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
– Work with other volunteers and team members to set-up space for a range of public programs. This will include assistance with re-arranging and lifting furniture, A/V set up, food and beverage set-up, sound check, etc.
– Check-in or register guests electronically or manually.
– Distributing brochures, collateral and promotional materials as well as speaking to guests about upcoming events, portals, installations and the overall mission of The Africa Center.
– Make guests feel welcome and at home at The Africa Center. This may include guiding them to staff as appropriate, refreshments, the restroom and helping answer guest questions as needed.
– Keeping track of the number of guests attending each event.
– Support with A/V requirements of the specific events.
– Collect systematic feedback and input from guests on events, with support and guidance from staff.
– Work with volunteers and team members to break-down space at the end of the event. This will include assistance with re-arranging and lifting furniture and cleaning-up space as needed.
Full Position Description: TAC – Volunteering Description
The ideal candidate will be above the age of 18 and be capable of doing physical work such as lifting and carrying tables and chairs. They will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and will be able to handle diverse tasks. An interest in the mission and the vision of The Africa Center is required.
How to apply:
Email your application to email@example.com by the end of the business day December 21st, 2018 with the subject line, “Program Volunteer, The Africa Center, 2019.” Applications should include a resume and a cover letter, indicating your interest in the position and the days and the hours that you are available to volunteer. No phone calls, please. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Please consider your application received unless it is bounced back.